Skip Ribbon Commands
Skip to main content

 Veteran Services

Military Service Discharge

Veterans are encouraged to record a copy of their DD-214 with their local Recorder's Office. Doing so ensures that the veteran or his/her family can more quickly access a copy later if needed.

DD-214's are recorded free of charge, are only available to the veteran or their next of kin and are not considered public records. Discharge papers are used for several services offered to veterans including: 

Home Loans 

Health Benefits

Student Loans  

The National Archives is the official depository for records of military personnel separated from the United States Army, Navy, Air Force, Coast Guard and Marine Corps.  
If you have not recorded your DD-214 with the County Recorder, you may obtain an official copy by contacting:
 National Personnel Records Center
Military Personnel Recor​ds
9700 Page Blvd. St. Louis, MO 63123-5100.​
More information on obtaining your discharge papers from the National Archives can be found here.

Additional Links for Veterans and Families:

US Department of Veterans Affairs - Indianapolis Office

Roudebush VA Hospital - Indianapolis

Indiana Department of Veterans​ Affairs​

Indiana Department of Workforce Development - Veterans Services

City of Indianapolis Veterans Services​

Indianapolis Veteran-Owned Business Enterprise

American Legion​​


Hoosier Veterans Assistance Foundation​