Marion County accepts documents in person, by mail and through our e-recording vendors.
Documents submitted for recording must include the appropriate fee and conform to the requirements listed below.
• A Preparer’s Statement with the individual’s name: “This instrument is prepared by ______ (printed name of individual) (IC 36-2-11-15c)
• The names of all those executing (signing) or serving as witness on the instrument must be identical throughout the document. Names must be printed or typewritten under each signature.
• Two-inch top and bottom margin on first and last pages. If there is not room for recording stamps, an extra page will be added. (IC 36-2-11-6.5)
• Documents must be legible and able to reproduce a clear copy. (IC 36-2-11-10)
• IF notarized in Indiana: An Affirmation Statement with an individual’s name: “I affirm under penalties of perjury, that I have taken reasonable care to redact each social security number in this document, unless required by law.” ______ (printed name of individual) (IC 36-2-11-15d)
• Documents transferring property must be located in Marion County and stamped by the Marion County Assessor prior to recording. (IC 36-2-11-8)
• Deed or conveyances must clearly indicate the street address tax bills should be mailed.
• If signing as a Power of Attorney, the recorded instrument number must be included with the signature. (IC 30-5-3-3)
• Grantee’s street address is required when transferring property. PO Box is not acceptable.
• Blanket releases and assignments will be accepted for the same property only. (IC 32-29-1-8c)
• Legal descriptions and cross reference numbers must be complete, accurate and match records.
• Copies of documents will be accepted if they are clearly marked as copies. (IC 36-2-11-16c5)
• Documents must be able to produce a clear and unobstructed copy. (IC 36-2-11-16)
• Original recording fees and requirements apply when re-recording an instrument and must include a reason for re-recording at the top of the first page.
• Marion County does not refund overages in recording fees unless a Claim Form is sent requesting the refund. Please include the transaction number and the amount of the overage minus the $3.00 administrative fee. (IC 36-2-11-6)
The Notary Public must include the following:
• Name of the notary is identical to that listed on notary commission.
• Printed or typed name under the signature (or within the stamp).
• Expiration date of notary commission.
• Date document was notarized.
Notary seals for new or renewing commissions after July 1, 2018 are required to display the following:
• Words: “notary public”, “State of Indiana”, “seal”.
• Name of the notary public exactly as it appears on the commission certificate.
• Words: “commission number” followed by the 7-digit commission number.
• Words: “my commission expires” followed by the month, day and year the commission expires.