Marion County accepts documents in person, by mail and through our e-recording vendors.
Documents submitted for recording must include the appropriate fee and conform to the requirements listed below.
• A Preparer’s Statement with the individual’s name: “This instrument is prepared by ______ (printed name of individual) (IC 36-2-11-15c)
• The names of all those executing (signing) or serving as witness on the instrument must be identical throughout the document. Names must be printed or typewritten under each signature. (IC 36-2-11-16)
• Two-inch top and bottom margin on first and last pages. If there is not room for recording stamps, an extra page will be added for an additional fee. (IC 36-2-11-6.5)
• Documents must be legible and able to reproduce a clear copy (IC 36-2-11-10)
• IF notarized in Indiana: An Affirmation Statement with an individual’s name: “I affirm under penalties of perjury, that I have taken reasonable care to redact each social security number in this document, unless required by law.” ______ (printed name of individual) (IC 36-2-11-15d)
• Documents transferring property must be located in Marion County and stamped by the Marion County Assessor prior to recording (IC 36-2-11-8)
• If signing as a Power of Attorney, the recorded instrument number must be included with the signature (IC 30-5-3-3)
• Grantee’s street address is required when transferring property. PO Box is not acceptable. (IC 32-21-2-3)
• Blanket releases and assignments will be accepted for the same property only. (IC 32-29-1-8c)
• Legal descriptions and cross reference numbers must be complete, accurate and match records
• Copies of documents will be accepted if they are clearly marked as copies. (IC 36-2-11-16c5)
• Original recording fees and requirements apply when re-recording an instrument and must include a reason for re-recording at the top of the page.
• Marion County does not refund overages in recording fees unless a Claim Form is sent requesting the refund. Please include the transaction number and the amount of the overage minus the $3.00 administrative fee. (IC 36-2-11-6)
The Notary Public must include the following:
• Name of the notary is identical to that listed on notary commission.
• Printed or typed name under the signature (or within the stamp).
• Expiration date of notary commission.
• County of residence.
• Date document was notarized.
• Notary seal or stamp.