Skip Ribbon Commands
Skip to main content

Marriage License FAQ

​Congratulations on your engagement! Before walking down the aisle, you and your fiancé must first stop by the county Clerk’s Office and apply for your marriage license. View the how-to video on applying for your marriage license in Marion County here to .

The Marion County Clerk’s Office is located in the City-County Building, 200 East Washington Street in downtown Indianapolis. The marriage license counter is open from 8AM to 4:30PM, Monday through Friday to accept new applications or to make copies of your marriage license. We do close for most major holidays and are not open on the weekends.

Frequently Asked Questions:

Is a blood test required before we can marry?

No. Indiana law no longer requires the bride or groom to provide the results of a blood test.

Are there age requirements to marry in Indiana?

Yes. The bride and groom must both be 18 or older to marry without parental consent. If the bride and/or groom is 17-years-old, both parents must consent to the marriage. A 16-year-old can apply for a marriage license only after seeking a court order and with the consent of both parents.

Is there a waiting period?

No. In Indiana, you can marry the same day you apply for your marriage license.

Do we need witnesses?

No. Indiana law no longer requires additional witnesses.

Do I automatically receive copies of my marriage record?

No. You must request copies using our order form or by visiting the office during regular business hours. Certified copies are $2 each.

After the ceremony, how do I know you’ve received my marriage record?

You can call us at (317) 327-4720, send an email to marriage@indy.gov or use the online marriage record search.

How long is my license valid?

Your marriage license is valid for 60 days during which time the marriage must be performed. If you do not marry within the 60 day window, you can apply for a new license – but must complete the application process again and pay the filing fee.

Do both of us need to fill out the license application?

Yes. Both the prospective bride and groom must complete their portion of the application and appear in person in the Clerk’s Office. However, you can come at different times.